Below is a screenshot of the Zoom User Interface. Not all of the buttons are available to participants, depending on the hosts settings.
Mute/Unmute Audio and Adjust Audio Options
Using audio in a Zoom meeting requires you to have access to either a microphone through your computer. Please be aware that the host can control participant audio in a meeting. This means the host can mute and unmute you at any time. Check the icons in the menu bar and the participants panel to determine your current audio setting.
- To unmute yourself and begin talking, click the Unmute button (microphone) in the bottom-left corner of the meeting window.
- To mute yourself, click the Mute button (microphone). A red slash will appear over the microphone icon indicating that your audio is now off.
- To test your computer microphone and speakers, click the up arrow to the right of the microphone icon and select Audio options.
Start/Stop Video and Adjust Video Options
- Click the Start Video button in the menu bar at the bottom to begin your video.
- Click the Stop Video button to stop sharing your video stream.
- To choose a different webcam or adjust your video settings, click the up arrow to the right of the Video icon and select Video Settings.
NOTE: When video is activated, display options are available in the upper right of the screen and in the upper right of each participant’s window in both Speaker View and Gallery View.
Participate in Polls
The host may ask you to participate in a poll during the session. A poll is typically used for voting or for gathering information from the audience. When the host launches the poll, the poll dialog box will appear on the meeting screen. You can move the poll dialog box to any location on your screen.
- Select the radio button to the left of the desired response.
- Click Submit.
- The poll will disappear from the meeting screen.
Send Messages with Chat
You can send a chat message to all participants in the meeting or privately to specific individuals. Note that when you join a meeting, any messages posted in chat prior to you joining are not visible to you.
Send a Message to Everyone
- Click the Chat button in the menu bar to open the Chat panel.
- Type your message in the Text box at the bottom of the panel.
- Press Enter to send the message.
- To save the chat transcript, click the More button at the bottom of the chat panel and select Save Chat.
Send a Private Message
You can send a private message to a single person by clicking the down arrow in the To: field and selecting the person’s name from the list. The person’s name will stay selected until you click the down arrow again and select Everyone.
Leave a Meeting
- Click the Leave Meeting option in the menu bar to exit the meeting.
- Click the Leave Meeting button in the dialog box.